Thursday, November 25, 2010

Day 325 - Further Thoughts

This has been an interesting year.  Father has allowed some situations and circumstances in my life which have challenged me, caused me to reevaluate, confronted me with issues and people in ways in which I had not previously been exposed.  I have learned over the years though, that HE never allows anything in our lives but that which will glorify Him and (ouch) remove dross from our lives.


My recent discovery about the star of David made me realize how easily things can creep in and be accepted as true, right or correct.  I am desirous of becoming more diligent and attentive in looking at everything, prayerfully discerning whether or not it is scripturally substantiated.


Continuing with the Lord's supper requirements - Chapter 11 of 1 Corinthians.  I was challenged on this topic a while back.  I've been reading, researching, asking questions, really, in an attempt to keep the status quo.  To defend what I believed to be the biblical position.  


I was encouraged to look at the verses using a method called Chiastic Structure, which I had not heard of and have no experience.  I looked at the information, but still do not grasp how to make it work.  I did look at the passage again - specifically 1 Corinthians 11:3-15.  I have looked at, and defended this portion of scripture as meaning that a woman's hair is her covering.  That nothing further is needed.  Solely from the English word usage.  For someone who enjoys looking up the words in their original language, I am slightly perplexed that I never did that with this passage.


For the sake of time and space, I am not going to type out the entire passage, but only hit the key words which seemed pertinent to me as I attempt to discover what Father is saying and/or instructing.


v4 - covered - G2596 - A primary particle; (preposition) down (in place or time), in varied relations (according to the case [genitive, dative or accusative] with which it is joined).


v5 - uncovered - G177 - From G1 (as a negative particle) and a derivative of a compound of G2596 and G2572; unveiled.


v6 - covered -G2619 - From G2596 and G2572; to cover wholly, that is, veil.


v7 - covered - G2619 - From G2596 and G2572; to cover wholly, that is, veil.  (Men ought not.)


v10 - power - G1849 - From G1832 (in the sense of ability); privilege, that is, (subjectively) force, capacity, competency, freedom, or (objectively) mastery (concretely magistrate, superhuman, potentate, token of control), delegated influence.


v13 - uncovered - G177 - From  G1 (as a negative particle) and a derivative of a compound of G2596 and G2572; unveiled.


v15 - covering - G4018 - Neuter of a presumed derivative of G4016; something thrown around one, that is, a mantle, veil.


One of the questions put to me was:  Why would Paul use all those verses to state that a woman's hair was the covering?


I have studied, researched, googled, and commentaried this topic until, frankly, my head hurts.  As difficult as it is, I can come to no other conclusion, that in corporate worship, or called assemblies of saints, that a woman ought to have her head covered.  Actually applying this knowledge is probably the more difficult task.  In all honesty, I do not want to - mentally I do, but physically, I am not there yet.  It appears such a HUGE difference and change that I can not, at this particular moment, fathom.


After looking up the words in the Greek, a friend had suggested this article.  Pressing on in my search, I found this article.  The next one tries to 'tweak' the requirement.  I found this blog which I thought was interesting.  She was focused on long hair and a 4th way of 'covering' without covering.  :-D


If you would like more information on Chiastic try here or here.  All of the commentaries I consulted were in agreement, thought Poole's commentary was a bit ambiguous.  Some alternate commentaries, which I have yet to read, can be found here and here.


For the menfolk - if you are fully persuaded about the issue and have sisters in the Lord who are not - do not, I repeat, do not beat them over the head.  Note, sisters in the Lord, not pagans.


Women - if you are reading and researching this, pray, read, seek godly counsel.  This is NOT an issue that I have fully embraced and will be a process of forward, stop, forward, stop.  If you are already persuaded about this issue, be gentle in how you share.


The saint who gently admonished me did so in such a way as to totally disarm me - I had no recourse of bowing up or getting aggravated.  I was exhorted to research, study and come to my own conclusions.  I would prefer an easier assignment next time.  :-)


Lord, continue to work the dross of the world out of Your Bride.  Help us to NOT be conformed to this world, but to be transformed by the renewing of our minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment