Sunday, July 14, 2013

Encourage One Another

I'm involved in a ladies study group - we're currently studying Lies Women Believe and the Truth that Sets Them Free by Nancy Leigh DeMoss.  One of the exhortations was to encourage one another.  The verse I had in mind is in Colossians; however,I misquoted it, stating encourage when in fact it should be admonishing.

Col_3:16  Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

When I did the search for 'hymns' it brought up both the Ephesians and the Colossians verses, which I find interesting as the admonition :-D is to speak to myself, singing and making melody in my heart.  So let's tear this apart shall we?

Eph_5:19  Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

With the Strong's numbers:

Eph 5:19  Speaking G2980 to yourselves G1438 in psalms G5568 and G2532 hymns G5215 and G2532 spiritual G4152 songs, G5603 singing G103 and G2532 making melody G5567 in G1722 your G5216 heart G2588 to the G3588 Lord; G2962

Including Zodhiates mood, tense, voice notations (note: I cannot replicate the exact Greek words with the accent marks):

speaking - G2980 (pap - present, active, participle 58, see 1, 57) - A prolonged form of an otherwise obsolete verb; to talk, that is, utter words: - preach, say, speak (after), talk, tell, utter.
  • 58 - The present Participle expresses continuous or repeated action.  Since in Greek the time of the action represented by participles is relative to the main verb, the present participle is used to signify action that is contemporaneous with the leading verb, whether that action occurs in the past, present or future.
    • 1 - The Active Voice represents the action as being accomplished by the subject of the verb: arti ginosko ek merous, tote de epignosomai, kathos kai epegnosthen, "now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known" (1 Cor 13:12). In Greek it is to be distinguished from the Middle Voice (50) and Passive Voice (60). See also 95.
    • 57 - The participle is a verbal adjective. As such, the participle may function as a verb, noun or adjective in the sentence.  It has a wide range of possible meanings, some of which can only be inferred from the context: ho agathopion ek tou theou estin, "He that doeth good is of God." (3 John 1:11)
So this answers what, who is doing it?

yourselves - G1438 (rxpro - reflexive pronoun 91, see 72) - (Including all the other cases); from a reflexive pronoun otherwise obsolete and the genitive (dative or accusative) of G846; him (her, it, them, also [in conjunction with the personal pronoun of the other persons] my, thy, our, your) -self (-selves), etc.:
  • 91 - The Reflexive Pronoun (rxpro) is used when the action indicated by the verb reflects back upon the subject.  Thus the subject of the verb and the pronoun refer to the same person or thing: kai emphaniso auto emauton, "and will manifest myself to him" (John 14:21). See also 72.
    • 72 - The Pronoun is used in place of a noun. In Greek, there are eight categories of pronouns: The Demonstrative Pronoun (32), the Emphatic Personal Pronoun (34), the Indefinite Pronoun (48), the Interrogative Pronoun (49), the Personal Pronoun (73), the Possessive Pronoun (76), the Reciprocal Pronoun (90), the Reflexive Pronoun (91), and the Relative Pronoun (92).
Me, myself and I...I am commanded to speak to myself in psalms, hymns and spiritual songs.  But wait, that's not all, its not just speaking, there's more.

singing - G103 (pap - see above) - A primary verb; to sing.

Well that 'seems' pretty straightforward.  Sing.  Which means I need to have them 'stored' up - which I don't, sadly.  I can't sing a complete psalm, hymn or spiritual song...well maybe a children's song.  What am I meditating upon?  *sigh*

making melody - G5567 (pap - see above) - Probably strengthened from ψάω psaō (to rub or touch the surface; compare G5597); to twitch or twang, that is, to play on a stringed instrument (celebrate the divine worship with music and accompanying odes).

Now I'm in some serious deficiency - I don't play an instrument!  Hmmm...do the vocal chords count? But wait, WHERE is this being done?

...in your heart...

in - G1722 (pre - preposition 78) - A primary preposition denoting (fixed) position (in place, time or state), and (by implication) instrumentality (medially or constructively), that is, a relation of rest (intermediate between G1519 and G1537); “in”, at, (up-) on, by, etc.: 

This is EN, not EK or EIS motion in or out, or out and in - EN standing (if you will) in one place.  Not moving forward, backward.  Still. Which reminds me...our memory music this month is the hymn:  Be Still My Soul.  Heh, in an attempt to memorize I made a wave file, both of my saying the words and attempting to sing, neither of which I'll burden the reader by posting...some things are meant to be kept private and/or shared only among close friends.  :-D

heart - G2588 - Prolonged from a primary κάρ kar (Latin cor, “heart”); the heart, that is, (figuratively) the thoughts or feelings (mind); also (by analogy) the middle.

Lord - G2962 - From κῦρος kuros (supremacy); supreme in authority, that is, (as noun) controller; by implication Mr. (as a respectful title): - God, Lord, master, Sir.

That is quite an exhortation...and to understand the verse fully (context is K-I-N-G) read the verses before and after...because before verse 19, at the end of 18, it tells us to be filled with the Spirit.

On that note, I'm going to wrap this up and cover the Colossians' verse in another post.  Continued...here.

4 comments:

  1. Ah, beautiful Psalms! There are some being sung at this link on youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaddlvF_fbw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this! It was very much needed! :) I look forward to the 2nd part of this post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting!! Sadly, I don't have many of the Psalms stored away either. Always room for growth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting about singing them, something good to meditate on during the day. I definitely think our voices are instruments...

    ReplyDelete