Sunday, November 7, 2010

Day 309

J. The crucifixion day (preparation day) - cont.
7. Jesus before Pilate second time, release of Barabbas (what no time?) - Matthew 27:15-26; Mark 15:6-15; Luke 23:13-25; John 18:39-40
8. Conclusion of trial: mocking and final condemnation - Matthew 27:27-31; Mark 15:16-19; John 19:1-16
9. Jesus' walk to Golgotha - Matthew 27:32-34; Mark 15:20-23; Luke 23:26-32; John 19:17
10. First three hours on the cross (9 a.m. - noon) - Matthew 27:35-44; Mark 15:24-32; Luke 23:33-43; John 19:18-27
<><><><><><><><><><><><>><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Matthew 27:19 - '...his wife sent unto him, saying, Have thou nothing to do with that just man: for I have suffered many things this day in a dream because of him.'


My first thought was - how did Matthew know what Pilate's wife said to him?  None of the other gospel writers say anything about it, only Matthew - just a ponderable.  :-)


Second thought - Was Pilate's "I am innocent of the blood of this just person, see ye to it." an attempt to heed her counsel and try to avoid judging a just man?


Obviously Pilate was a chosen vessel in this drama which was unfolding...God's eternal design and plan would not, could not, be thwarted.  What a humbling thought.  When we, in eternity, look back and view how God orchestrated our lives to bring about glorification of HIS name what will we see?  Granted most of us will never be the 'big' names, but every vessel of HIS has a purpose.  Those trials, tribulations and tests, yea, even the heights of joy and delight in this lifetime, are all designed to mold us into HIS image - what an awesome 'picture' we will view from the eternal side.


My next 'ponderable' :-) was about Barabbas - I wonder how aware he was of having been set free by Jesus.


Then...I had heard a medical discussion on the crucifixion, and so decided to find one to share.  I have 2 sites - the first one I enjoyed because it made me stop and think about how the cross was set up.  I have always mentally (probably inspired by pictures or movies) thought of the cross as being VERY tall and being one piece which Jesus carried (then Simon).  The description of how the cross was set up made me re-analyze my perception...the people being crucified were not in very good shape by the time they got there (no chance of jumping off the cross beam)...the upright portion of the cross was probably in a permanent position, thus the cross beam with the person attached would be lifted up, hence not a very high position.  I tried to find additional information about the Roman cross, but as of this posting had not found anything.


Here is the first link:  http://www.konnections.com/kcundick/crucifix.html

While the first link gave a good description of the crucifixion, I think the second one better. It is a necessary and grim reminder of how much our Savior suffered for us.  It is a very humbling thought which crossed my mind as I typed this ~ that should have been me.  I've had that thought previously - have known it inwardly.  He died the death for me.  However, as I ruminate on the intensity, the pain, suffering, anguish, it intensifies how much HE suffered for me.


http://www.southasianconnection.com/articles/184/1/Jesus-Suffering-and-Crucifixion-From-a-Medical-Point-of-View/Page1.html


Why was I a guest?  Why me?  If I were God, I definitely would NOT have chosen me.  I am eternally (literally) grateful that HE did.  The answer:  Grace, all of grace.  

No comments:

Post a Comment