Saturday, November 20, 2010

Day 319 - more

319 More now... :-)


"...as many as were ordained to eternal life believed."  (Acts 13:48)


"And it came to pass in Iconium, that they went both together into the synagogue of the Jews, and so spake that a great multitude both of the Jews and also of the Greeks believed."  (Acts 14:1)


There are at least 3 thoughts converging for me in these passages - the issue of election, believing, and the synagogue.


If you have never addressed the issue of the doctrine of election, I pray that Father will open your understanding - I am including a site which has a brief presentation, I hope it blesses all who read.  My Understanding of the Doctrine of Election


The next issue - baptism - I have begun the following article, have not completed it, but considered it thought provoking enough to share.  A String of Pearls Unstrung

No links yet for the topic of Sabbath versus First Day worship.  :-)  Later...


The passage in Acts 13:51 - But they shook off the dust of their feet against them, and came unto Iconium.  Reminded me of the portion of Scripture where Jesus states:


Mark 6:11  And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear you, when ye depart thence, shake off the dust under your feet for a testimony against them. Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city.


I wonder if this was in Paul's mind as he was applying the action?  I wonder what impact that would have in today's society were someone to try it?  Our society is so wicked, they would probably laugh at something they deemed archaic.


Another lame man!  Acts 14:8-10 - and the people want to name Paul and Barnabas after their pagan gods!  Jupiter and Mercury!  Paul and Barnabas are adamantly against such an action - rending their clothes and giving testimony to the goodness of God which is poured out even on the heathen.


"Nevertheless he left not himself without witness, in that he did good, and gave us rain from heaven, and fruitful seasons, filling our hearts with food and gladness."  (Acts 14:17)


Which would have lead me to a comment on 'common' grace - to which I now find myself unable to make.  Ironically, when I googled the term common grace, two of the articles I brought up and began reading (one for/one against) referenced the other writer!  Let the reader, by prayerful petition to Father, read (if HE directs) and decide.  I am putting this topic on my list (which continues to grow and grow!) for future study.


The Jews from Antioch and Iconium stirred up the people, inciting them to stone Paul - who they thought dead and drug out of the city.  Quite a beating!  I can not imagine being hit by one stone (according to one site - a stone is the size of a tangerine and the process can take up to an hour) much less being pummeled to death.


Exhortation to believers that through much tribulation we enter into the kingdom of God (Acts 14:22) and the example of praying and fasting for the church (Acts 14:23).

No comments:

Post a Comment