Thursday, November 4, 2010

Day 305

I. Day before crucifixion (Passover Day)
1. Preparation for the Passover - Matthew 26:17-19; Mark 14:12-16; Luke 22:7-13
*2. The betrayer is identified - Mathew 26:20-25; Mark 14:17-21; John 13:21-35
3. Institution of the Lord's supper - Matthew 26:26-29; Mark 14:22-25; Luke 22:14-20; 1 Corinthians 11:23-26
4. Contention as to who is greatest - Luke 22:24-29
*5. Jesus washes the disciples feet - John 13:1-20
6. Peter's denial foretold - Matthew 26:31-38
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


* = :? ~ When I first read through this section I made a note as to why #5 was not before #2.  It is the first 20 verses of John...compared to verses 21-35 of John 13.


Then (always beneficial to review, review, review!) this verse stuck out at me:
John 13:2 - AFTER supper being ended, the devil having now put into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, to betray him.


I had always thought that Judas Iscariot's feet were washed by Jesus and that he participated in taking the bread and wine.  The verses would seem to indicate that Judas was in attendance for the supper, the foot washing and the bread/wine initiation - I'm basing this mainly on:
Luke 22:21 - But, behold, the hand of him that betrayeth me is with me on the table.
23 - And they began to enquire among themselves, which of them it was that should do this thing.


Then John 13:18 - I speak not of you all: I know whom I have chosen: but that the scripture may be fulfilled, He that eateth bread with me hath lifted up his heel against me.


It would appear that Jesus showed the same benevolence to Judas Iscariot as He did the other disciples - washing their feet, breaking bread with them, giving them the cup of wine. Which I find even more interesting after having researched the Jewish weddings - and how a cup of wine was given the betrothed couple in anticipation of a coming wedding feast. How oft does that come to my remembrance when taking the bread and wine with my spiritual family, that this is an anticipatory tidbit of the great and wonderful feast I will have with my beloved.  **sigh**


Is it I?  They all asked?  Even Judas Iscariot asks and Jesus responds 'Thou has said."  "He it is to whom I shall give a sop, when I have dipped it. And when HE had dipped the sop, HE gave it to Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon."


Did the disciples miss the obvious?  Judas Iscariot was obviously NOT the one leaning on Jesus' breast at supper - so at least 1 person removed, unless he was on the other side of Jesus.  Then Jesus clearly states who I give this sop to is he.  I love the way Father guides and chastises - my margin notes:  "Missed the obvious - what am I missing?"


So what am I missing that is completely obvious that Father has said, directed, guided in HIS word?  I know that my sanctification is an ongoing process - and I have seen such wonderful growth in and through the seasons already given me this side of glory - but am I content with my 'christianity' or ever seeking to grow deeper and more intimately in love with my Savior?


Lord, help me to see where I am missing the obvious in Your word.  Lord, give a fervent desire to Your Bride to be washed in Your word daily, to draw closer to You moment by moment, second by second.  Help us to NOT miss what You are obviously showing us in Your Word, but to diligently hear, see and obey.

No comments:

Post a Comment