Thursday, November 4, 2010

Day 306

I. Day before crucifixion (Passover Day) - cont.
7. Farewell discourses
a. Jesus, the way to heaven (D-18) - John 14:1-15
b. promise of the Holy Spirit (D-18?) - John 14:16-31
c. Vine and branches (D-19)  John 15:1-17
d. Warning of persecution (D-19?) - John 15:1827; John 16:1-4
e. Jesus comforts the disciples (D-20) - John 16:5-33
8. Farewell prayer for His own - John 17:1-26
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Amazing what I see when I type things out ~ I am assuming the D-18 and 19 doubles are because both discourses are contained in the same chapter.  :-)

I've had some very reflective days this week ~ much to pray and seek Father.

I'm encouraged by Jesus' prayers that HE offers up, which blessed the apostles as they listened and heard, but have a rippling impact throughout the ages as we read and 'hear' HIM pray for us as well.

John 14:16-17 - And I will pray the Father, and He shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever: Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him: for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

Comforter - G3875 - An intercessor, consoler: - advocate, comforter.


abide - G3306 - A primary verb; to stay (in a given place, state, relation or expectancy).


for ever - G1519 and G165 - G1519 - to or into.  G165 - From the same as G104; properly an age; by extension perpetuity (also past); by implication the world; specifically (Jewish) a Messianic period (present or future).


know - G1097 - A prolonged form of a primary verb; to “know” (absolutely), in a great variety of applications and with many implications.


dwelleth - G3306 - A primary verb; to stay (in a given place, state, relation or expectancy).


with - G3844 - A primary preposition; properly near, that is, (with genitive case) from beside (literally or figuratively), (with dative case) at (or in) the vicinity of (objectively or subjectively), (with accusative case) to the proximity with (local [especially beyond or opposed to] or causal [on account of]).


in - G1722 - A primary preposition denoting (fixed) position (in place, time or state), and (by implication) instrumentality (medially or constructively), that is, a relation of rest (intermediate between G1519 and G1537); “in”, at, (up-) on, by, etc.


He dwells with and in us.  I knew the comforter dwelt in me...but with me, that is a thought I shall have to turn over.  In, in my mind indicates internal...with, external.  He is with me...Lord, help me to fully understand what You have indicated by Your choice of words.  Let it filter down into my spirit and soul and transform my understanding of who You are and what You are doing in, with and through me.


I continue to be amazed at how Father works out what I 'see' when I am reading and then what I 'see' when I am typing.  I am definitely receiving an awesome blessing from our Father as I read and re-read HIS word.


John 15:9 - As the Father hath loved (G25) me, so have I loved (G25) you: continue ye in my love (G26).


This is the verse which really captured my attention - as I pondered the width and breadth and depth (as much as is humanly possible) of the fact that as the Father loved Jesus, so He love us.  The unmeasurable love of the Father towards the Son - that same love, poured out upon us...what an awesome thought.  The Father, without end, whose thoughts are beyond our finite minds, immeasurable, unending.


Then:  John 15:12 - This is my commandment, That ye love (G25) one another as I have loved (G25) you.


Hmmm...lots of 'love' going on here...best check the definitions.
Love - G25- Perhaps from ἄγαν agan (much; or compare [H5689]); to love (in a social or moral sense).  H5689 - A primitive root; to breathe after, that is, to love (sensually).


love - G26 - From G25; love, that is, affection or benevolence; specifically (plural) a love feast.


Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you...this is just one of many instances in which our Lord clearly states that HE has chosen us...not we chose Him.  It is intriguing to me that for years after my regeneration I never heard or 'saw' how frequently the Word clearly states that HE chose me.  Thinking that I actually had something to do with my salvation.  That I "made a decision' for Christ - when in reality it was all Him.  Removing the blinders from my eyes, opening my ears to hear the effectual call.


Some would contend that if one does not understand the doctrine of election or predestination, then they are not truly saved.  I would have to earnestly contend with that position.  From my own experience it was evident that I was on the broad path, clearly walking with a multitude to the City of Destruction...and then, the magnificence of HIS light and glory shone upon me - causing me to see my sin - maybe not grasping the fullness of my depravity - but knowing and 'seeing' HIM as He placed me on the narrow path, headed for the Celestial City.  What a journey it has thus been - many valleys and mountain tops lie behind, many more to come I am sure.  I am assured of this:


Php 1:6  Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ: 


And He tells us we will have tribulations in this world (John 16:33).  Praying not for the world (John 17:9) but for those whom Father has given to Jesus.  Desiring for us to be one with Him as HE is with the Father (John 16:11).


And last but not least - this passage also captured my attention:


John 17:19 - And for their sakes I sanctify (G37) myself, that they also might be sanctified (G37) through the truth.


Which made me think of how a husband (as Christ) sanctifies himself so that he might sanctify his wife (the church).

Sanctify - G37 - From G40; to make holy, that is, (ceremonially) purify or consecrate; (mentally) to venerate.  G40 - From ἅγος hagos (an awful thing) compare G53, [H2282]; sacred (physically pure, morally blameless or religious, ceremonially consecrated).



Lord help us, Your people, who are set apart for You, filled with Your Holy Spirit be continually sanctified by Your word.  Let our fervent desire to be in drawing ever closer to You.  Wash Your Bride Lord Jesus...purify us and make us meet for our coming wedding feast.

No comments:

Post a Comment