Friday, April 15, 2011

Day 105-11

VII The Reign of Saul - 1065-1025 B.C. ~ cont.
B. Decline of Saul and rise of David (5 years) ~ cont.
2. David's dangers and flights ~ cont.
g. Doeg the Edmoite slays priests at Nob - 1 Samuel 22:6-19; Psalm 35:1-28
h. David in Keilah - 1 Samuel 23:1; 1 Samuel 22:20-23; 1 Samuel 23:6; 2-5; Psalm 52:1-9; 109:1-31; 140:1-13; 1 Samuel 23:7-13; Psalm 31:1-24
{pages 462 - 468}

That all of you have conspired against me, and there is none that sheweth me that my son hath made a league with the son of Jesse, and there is none of you that is sorry for me, or sheweth unto me that my son hath stirred up my servant against me, to lie in wait, as at this day?   (1 Samuel 22:8)

Mental manipulation?  Sorry?  Jonathan stirred up David against Saul?  Truly a deceived man.  Which is really, really sad.  Saul had the Spirit of God upon him.  He prophesied by the Spirit.  Yet, plagued by an evil spirit.

sorry - H2470 - A primitive root (compare H2342, H2490); properly to be rubbed or worn; hence (figuratively) to be weak, sick, afflicted; or (causatively) to grieve, make sick; also to stroke (in flattering), entreat.

Then Doeg - the liar and the murderer.  He got 2 out of 3 items correct when re-telling Saul about David's visit to Ahimelech.  That inquiry made to the Lord on David's behalf was not truthful.  (1 Samuel 22:9-11)

Then contrary to the law of Moses - a person could not be condemned by only 1 person's testimony, Ahimelech was murdered.  I admire the footmen for they refused to murder Ahimelech (1 Samuel 22:17).  Doeg had no similar compulsion...wicked, wicked, wicked...1 Samuel 22:18-19.

Not only did he murder Ahimelech...but the entire city of Nob, men, women, children, infants, livestock.  :-(

Abithar, the son of Ahimelech survives:

And it came to pass, when Abiathar the son of Ahimelech fled to David to Keilah, that he came down with an ephod in his hand.  (1 Samuel 23:6)

ephod - H646 - Second form is a rare form; probably of foreign derivation; a girdle; specifically the ephod or high priest’s shoulder piece; also generally an image.

Gill's commentary:

that he came down with an ephod in his hand; not with a linen ephod on his back, which the priests in common wore, but the ephod with the Urim and Thummim in his hand, which was peculiar to the high priest; and his father the high priest being dead, it belonged to him, and therefore he took care to bring it with him; though the words may be literally rendered, "the ephod came down in his hand" (k), as it were by chance, and not with design; and so some Jewish interpreters (l) understand it, that in his fright and flight, among his garments and other things he took hold of to carry with him, and not minding well what he took, this happened to be, being so ordered by the providence of God; though the Targum renders it,"the ephod he made to descend in his hand,''or brought it in his hand; and so Kimchi and Abarbinel observe it may be interpreted, though they seem to incline to the other sense. 

Browsed Henry's commentary and his incorporates both verse 6 and 2 (below):

He enquired of the Lord by the prophet Gad; for it should seem (by 1Sa_23:6) that Abiathar came not to him with the ephod till he was in Keilah. His enquiry is, Shall I go and smite these Philistines? He enquires both concerning the duty (whether he might lawfully take Saul's work out of his hand, and act without a commission from him) and concerning the event, whether he might safely venture against such a force as the Philistines had with such a handful of men at his feet, and such a dangerous enemy as Saul was at his back. It is our duty, and will be our case and comfort, whatever happens, to acknowledge God in all our ways and to seek direction from him.

Therefore David enquired of the LORD, saying, Shall I go and smite these Philistines? And the LORD said unto David, Go, and smite the Philistines, and save Keilah.  (1 Samuel 23:2)

Still curious as to how David enquired and how the LORD spoke.  Did David actually 'hear' Him (either externally or internally) or by the mouth of a prophet?  Would appear by Gill's understanding on verse 6 that the prophet Gad was with him to impart information.

Will the men of Keilah deliver me up into his hand? will Saul come down, as thy servant hath heard? O LORD God of Israel, I beseech thee, tell thy servant. And the LORD said, He will come down. Then said David, Will the men of Keilah deliver me and my men into the hand of Saul? And the LORD said, They will deliver thee up.  (1 Samuel 23:11-12)

I thought the phrase the LORD said interesting..so rabbit trailing.  :-)

Whoa...just the phrase 'the Lord said' is found 219 times throughout Scripture, old and new testament.  A few of these are the angel of the LORD said. A few samplings:

Gen 4:6  And the LORD said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen?

Gen 4:9  And the LORD said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not: Am I my brother's keeper? 

Appears that God spoke directly to Cain.

Gen 7:1  And the LORD said unto Noah, Come thou and all thy house into the ark; for thee have I seen righteous before me in this generation. 

Spoke directly to Noah?

Gen 8:21  And the LORD smelled a sweet savour; and the LORD said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done. 

Spoke to Himself...He said in His heart, and then shared it with us.  How thrilling and touching that Father reveals the inner most thoughts of His heart to us.  *happy sigh*

Gen 13:14  And the LORD said unto Abram, after that Lot was separated from him, Lift up now thine eyes, and look from the place where thou art northward, and southward, and eastward, and westward: 

Spoke directly to Abram.

Gen 16:9  And the angel of the LORD said unto her, Return to thy mistress, and submit thyself under her hands. 

Directly to Hagar.

Gen 25:23  And the LORD said unto her, Two nations are in thy womb, and two manner of people shall be separated from thy bowels; and the one people shall be stronger than the other people; and the elder shall serve the younger. 

To Rebekah.

Gen 31:3  And the LORD said unto Jacob, Return unto the land of thy fathers, and to thy kindred; and I will be with thee. 

To Jacob.

Exo 3:7  And the LORD said, I have surely seen the affliction of my people which are in Egypt, and have heard their cry by reason of their taskmasters; for I know their sorrows; 

To Moses.

Exo 4:27  And the LORD said to Aaron, Go into the wilderness to meet Moses. And he went, and met him in the mount of God, and kissed him. 

To Aaron

Num 22:32  And the angel of the LORD said unto him, Wherefore hast thou smitten thine ass these three times? behold, I went out to withstand thee, because thy way is perverse before me: 

Balaam.

Jos 3:7  And the LORD said unto Joshua, This day will I begin to magnify thee in the sight of all Israel, that they may know that, as I was with Moses, so I will be with thee. 

Joshua

Jos 14:12  Now therefore give me this mountain, whereof the LORD spake in that day; for thou heardest in that day how the Anakims were there, and that the cities were great and fenced: if so be the LORD will be with me, then I shall be able to drive them out, as the LORD said.

Caleb

Jdg 1:2  And the LORD said, Judah shall go up: behold, I have delivered the land into his hand. 

Children of Israel.

Jdg 6:16  And the LORD said unto him, Surely I will be with thee, and thou shalt smite the Midianites as one man. 

Gideon

Jdg 13:13  And the angel of the LORD said unto Manoah, Of all that I said unto the woman let her beware.

Manoah and his wife

1Sa 3:11  And the LORD said to Samuel, Behold, I will do a thing in Israel, at which both the ears of every one that heareth it shall tingle. 

Samuel

2Sa 5:19  And David enquired of the LORD, saying, Shall I go up to the Philistines? wilt thou deliver them into mine hand? And the LORD said unto David, Go up: for I will doubtless deliver the Philistines into thine hand. 

David

1Ki 9:3  And the LORD said unto him, I have heard thy prayer and thy supplication, that thou hast made before me: I have hallowed this house, which thou hast built, to put my name there for ever; and mine eyes and mine heart shall be there perpetually. 

Solomon

1Ki 14:5  And the LORD said unto Ahijah, Behold, the wife of Jeroboam cometh to ask a thing of thee for her son; for he is sick: thus and thus shalt thou say unto her: for it shall be, when she cometh in, that she shall feign herself to be another woman. 

Ahijah

1Ki 19:15  And the LORD said unto him, Go, return on thy way to the wilderness of Damascus: and when thou comest, anoint Hazael to be king over Syria: 

Elijah

2Ki 10:30  And the LORD said unto Jehu, Because thou hast done well in executing that which is right in mine eyes, and hast done unto the house of Ahab according to all that was in mine heart, thy children of the fourth generation shall sit on the throne of Israel. 

Jehu

I found this one and am still pondering upon it:

2Ki 18:25  Am I now come up without the LORD against this place to destroy it? The LORD said to me, Go up against this land, and destroy it. 

Spoken by Rabshakeh...interesting...very interesting.

Job 1:7  And the LORD said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it. 

Satan

Job 42:7  And it was so, that after the LORD had spoken these words unto Job, the LORD said to Eliphaz the Temanite, My wrath is kindled against thee, and against thy two friends: for ye have not spoken of me the thing that is right, as my servant Job hath. 

Eliphaz, seems to indicate that Job was spoken to also (see the book of Job for more details).

Isa 8:1  Moreover the LORD said unto me, Take thee a great roll, and write in it with a man's pen concerning Mahershalalhashbaz. 

Isaiah

Jer 3:6  The LORD said also unto me in the days of Josiah the king, Hast thou seen that which backsliding Israel hath done? she is gone up upon every high mountain and under every green tree, and there hath played the harlot. 

Jeremiah

Eze 23:36  The LORD said moreover unto me; Son of man, wilt thou judge Aholah and Aholibah? yea, declare unto them their abominations;

Ezekiel

Hos 1:2  The beginning of the word of the LORD by Hosea. And the LORD said to Hosea, Go, take unto thee a wife of whoredoms and children of whoredoms: for the land hath committed great whoredom, departing from the LORD. 

Hosea

Amo 7:8  And the LORD said unto me, Amos, what seest thou? And I said, A plumbline. Then said the Lord, Behold, I will set a plumbline in the midst of my people Israel: I will not again pass by them any more: 

Amos

Zec 11:13  And the LORD said unto me, Cast it unto the potter: a goodly price that I was prised at of them. And I took the thirty pieces of silver, and cast them to the potter in the house of the LORD. 

Zechariah

Then into the New Testament - worth the time to review the different times that the phrase 'the Lord said' and to whom He was speaking.  All of the apostle, disciples, etc.  A few specific times:

Act 9:5  And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks. 

Saul

Act 9:11  And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the street which is called Straight, and enquire in the house of Judas for one called Saul, of Tarsus: for, behold, he prayeth, 

Ananais

Lest we forget where it all started:

Gen 3:8  And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden.

Heb 3:15  While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation.

Beloved, have you heard HIS voice calling out to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment