Saturday, May 7, 2011

Day 127-11

VIII - The Reign of David - 1025-985 B.C. ~ cont.
C. David restored to the throne ~ cont.
2. Wars and famines ~ cont.
e. Officers of state at this time - 2 Samuel 20:23-26
f. Famine and league with Gibeonites - 2 Samuel 21:1-14; Psalm 29:1-11; 65:1-13
g. Last war with Philistines - 2 Samuel 21:15-22; 1 Chronicles 20:4-8; Psalm 36:1-12
D. David's last days
1. Numbering the people 
a. Numbering was sin - 2 Samuel 24:1-9; 1 Chronicles 21:1-6
b. Numbering hindered - 1 Chronicles 27:23-24
{pages 560 - 564}

David's last days - I found the following passages intriguing:

And again the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel, and he moved David against them to say, Go, number Israel and Judah.  (2 Samuel 24:1)

Initially I was going for the anger of the Lord, then realized that the word states it again!  I will deal with that word in a bit, here is the comparison passage:

And Satan stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel.  (1 Chronicles 21:1)

I made a note:  "So who did the provoking?"

JFB commentary:  Satan stood up against Israel — God, by withdrawing His grace at this time from David (see on 2Sa_24:1), permitted the tempter to prevail over him. As the result of this successful temptation was the entail of a heavy calamity as a punishment from God upon the people, it might be said that “Satan stood up against Israel.”

Pondering upon that...just as God allowed Job to be tested by Satan.  Lord, our flesh is indeed weak.  It is easy to look back at those who have gone on before, and stumbled, fumbled, faltered or fallen and think *I* would not do so.  *I* would know better.  *I* would be able to resist.  Really?  Peter had Jesus right there with him.  Giving him counsel:

Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.  (Matthew 26:41)

Yet, he fell, David, a man after God's own heart, fell several times.  Moses, one of the greatest prophets stumbled many a time.  Samson, strong physically, yet gave into the flesh.  Solomon, the wisest man ever, yet he clave to many foreign wives who turned his heart from the Lord.

I am no stronger, wiser or better than any of these.  Father, in and of myself I am not able to stand against the flesh.  Father, help us Your children to:

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.  (James 4:7)

To know that You are our high tower, our refuge.  That You graciously and magnanimously provide:

There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.  (1 Corinthians 10:13)

Lord, we can not stand without Your provision and preservation:

Thou art my hiding place; thou shalt preserve me from trouble; thou shalt compass me about with songs of deliverance. Selah.   (Psalm 32:7)

The LORD shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul.   (Psalm 121:7)

And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.  (2 Timothy 4:18)

Help me Lord to keep my thoughts, desires, dreams, hopes stayed upon You.

No comments:

Post a Comment