Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Day 124-11

VIII - The Reign of David - 1025-985 B.C. ~ cont.
B. David's sin and its consequences ~ cont.
2. Absalom's rebellion ~ cont.
o. Provisions for David at Mahanaim - 2 Samuel 17:27-29; Psalm 42:1-11; 43:1-5; 55:1-23; 71:124; 26:1-9; 143:1-12; 40:1-17; 70:1-5; 27:1-14; 69:1-36; 120:1-7; 121:1-8
{pages 545- 552}

Brought beds, and basons, and earthen vessels, and wheat, and barley, and flour, and parched corn, and beans, and lentiles, and parched pulse, And honey, and butter, and sheep, and cheese of kine, for David, and for the people that were with him, to eat: for they said, The people is hungry, and weary, and thirsty, in the wilderness. (2 Samuel 17:28-29)

Quite an assortment of items, but what a blessing.  As I write this, the southern portion of the United States has experienced catastrophic losses due to tornadoes, it is heartening to see the outpouring of relief, either in physical manpower or financial contributions.  I can well imagine that those who are trying to assist those impacted have provided some of the same physical relief.

There have been quite a lot of *natural* disasters worldwide, and I pause to wonder if it is not because we (as a people group, in whole) have turned our back upon the righteousness of God.  There is an cancerous evil flooding through the lands.  Calling evil good, and good evil.  May God grant us repentance.

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God.  My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?  (Psalm 42:1-2)

panteth - H6165 - A primitive root; to long for.

Used only 2 times, once in the Psalms and once in Joel of beasts of the field crying unto God.

thirsteth - H6770 - A primitive root; to thirst (literally or figuratively).

Used 10 times.  The people of Israel, Sisera, Samson, Boaz instructs Ruth to satisfy her thirst from the vessels drawn by his young men, used in Job of suffering thirst (can not figure out who), David after God, Isaiah affirms that Israel did NOT thirst when God lead them through the wilderness.

I thought the final two verses intriguing.

They shall not hunger nor thirst; neither shall the heat nor sun smite them: for he that hath mercy on them shall lead them, even by the springs of water shall he guide them.  (Isaiah 49:10)

Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD, Behold, my servants shall eat, but ye shall be hungry: behold, my servants shall drink, but ye shall be thirsty: behold, my servants shall rejoice, but ye shall be ashamed:  (Isaiah 65:13)

Does it?  Does my soul pant and thirsteth after the Living God?  Or do I routinely fall into complacency?  Lord, cause Your people to desire You above all else.  Help us to thirst and hunger after You and the truth contained in Your word.  Lord, remove the denominational differences and let there be a spirit of unity and truth blossom and bring forth fruit.

Cast thy burden upon the LORD, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved.   (Psalm 55:22)

never - H5769 - From H5956; properly concealed, that is, the vanishing point; generally time out of mind (past or future), that is, (practically) eternity; frequentative adverbially (especially with prepositional prefix) always.

Which made me think of this verse:

Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.  (Hebrews 13:5)

What consolation as we trod this worldly sod, ever seeking our Celestial home.  David continues to cry out:

O God, be not far from me: O my God, make haste for my help.  (Psalm 71:12)

Deliver my soul, O LORD, from lying lips, and from a deceitful tongue.  (Psalm 120:2)

Reassures himself:

Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications.  (Psalm 28:6)

The LORD shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul.  (Psalm 121:7)

Continual seeking:

Cause me to hear thy lovingkindness in the morning; for in thee do I trust: cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto thee.  (Psalm 143:8)

Teach me to do thy will; for thou art my God: thy spirit is good; lead me into the land of uprightness.  (Psalm 143:10)

Confidence:

I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry.  (Psalm 40:1)

I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart.  (Psalm 40:8)

When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, LORD, will I seek.  (Psalm 27:8)

Reflection:

O God, thou knowest my foolishness; and my sins are not hid from thee.  (Psalm 69:5)

If David could be honest with the Lord, can I?

Impatience?

But I am poor and needy; yet the Lord thinketh upon me: thou art my help and my deliverer; make no tarrying, O my God.  (Psalm 40:17)

But I am poor and needy: make haste unto me, O God: thou art my help and my deliverer; O LORD, make no tarrying.  (Psalm 70:5)

And hide not thy face from thy servant; for I am in trouble: hear me speedily.  (Psalm 69:17)

Lord, hear the cry of Your people.  Deliver us from this wicked generation.  Help us to stand firm in the midst of trials and tribulations.

Remember beloved of the Lord - armor up!

Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints; And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel, For which I am an ambassador in bonds: that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak. (Ephesians 6:13-20)

Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle. (2 Thessalonians 2:15)

No comments:

Post a Comment