Sunday, May 1, 2011

Day 121-11

VIII - The Reign of David - 1025-985 B.C. ~ cont.
B. David's sin and its consequences ~ cont.
2. Absalom's rebellion ~ cont.
b. Troubles of Amnon, David's son ~ cont.
(3) Joab persuades Absalom to return - 2 Samuel 14:1-33
c. Absalom wins Israelites affection - 2 Samuel 15:1-6; Psalm 62:1-12
d. Outbreak of Absalom's rebellion - 2 Samuel 15:7-12; Psalm 41:1-13
{pages 535-538}

In 2 Samuel 14 - I thought it interesting that the woman who brought her 'story' to King David had only 2 sons, one *killing* the other and then the remaining son to be killed for murder.  Trying to use the scenario to justify bringing Absalom home.  I made a note...David had many other sons (including Soloman) that would have produced offspring.  Why was this woman's *tale* somehow applicable?  She pets David's ego by telling him he speaks like an angel?  Beware those who speak with gilded tongue!

But in all Israel there was none to be so much praised as Absalom for his beauty: from the sole of his foot even to the crown of his head there was no blemish in him.  (2 Samuel 14:25)

Vanity of vanities...wonder if Solomon reflected on Absalom for his vanity passage?

And it came to pass after forty years, that Absalom said unto the king, I pray thee, let me go and pay my vow, which I have vowed unto the LORD, in Hebron.  (2 Samuel 15:7)

Forty years...after his return? Absalom's age? Note in the Chronological Bible states: "Apx 40 years since David's anointing." Well...Gill, Henry, JFB and K&D all concur that it can not be 40 years, nor even 40 years of David's reign as he only reigned 40 years total.

JFB commentary:  after forty years — It is generally admitted that an error has here crept into the text, and that instead of “forty,” we should read with the Syriac and Arabic versions, and Josephus, “four years” - that is, after Absalom’s return to Jerusalem, and his beginning to practice the base arts of gaining popularity.

All the commentaries were an interesting read, please be encouraged to dig.

I said, LORD, be merciful unto me: heal my soul; for I have sinned against thee.  (Psalm 41:4)

Amen...God forgive me, correct me when I am wrong. Help me Father to desire to NOT sin against thee. Thank you Lord, that when I do sin, I have an advocate with the Father.

My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.  (1 John 2:1-3)

No comments:

Post a Comment