Thursday, August 8, 2013

Days 219-220 - NAMES ~ 2010 - Bonus post

Originally posted in a forum in 2010 - this post may contain links which are no longer valid, if you find a non-working link, please let me know and I will attempt to find a replacement or make a correction as necessary.

Names...what is in a name? Hmmmm...have you ever stopped to ask? Very interesting.

A friend shared this information about Daniel and his 3 friends that she had gleaned years ago:


1. Hananiah - Jehovah is gracious
2. Mishael - who is what God is
3. Azariah - Jehovah is a keeper

Their Babylonian given names recorded in Scripture mean:

1. Daniel - Belteshazzar-The Lord's leader
2. Hananiah - Shadrach -moon god
3. Mishael- Meshach - agile
4. Azariah - Abednego - servant of light

Which led me to dig a bit further! Here is what I came across:

I went to this site first: www.behindthename.com/nmc/bibl.php

But it did not give me the depth of all the names...so onward to:

www.biblegateway.com/resources/dictionar...p?source=2&wid=W3976

I used the Hitchcock Bible Names Dictionary...very similar.

Daniel = judge ~ Belteshazzar = who lays up treasure in secret

Hananiah = grace, mercy, gift of the Lord ~ Shadrach = tender

Mishael = who is asked for or lent ~ Meshach = that draws with force

Azariah = he who hears the Lord ~ Abednego = servant of light, shining

Hmmm...I wonder

judge who lays up treasure in secret - Daniel Belteshazzar

grace, mercy, gift of the Lord, tender - Hananiah Shadrach

who is asked for or lent, that draws with force* - Mishael Meshach

he who hears the Lord, servant of light, shining - Azariah Abednego

I had always been stiff-necked about the Babylonian names, but even in this, it would appear that Father made sure they had names which glorified HIM.

The * is because I was recently reading about regeneration (see here if you would like to read the article www.gty.org/Resources/Sermons/90-297_The...art-1?q=regeneration) and there was a portion where the author was talking about John 6:44 (No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day. ) and how the word draw is equal to dragging, with force.

I am in awe of our wonderful Father and Creator, who left us not in our sin and despair, without hope...and literally DRUG us out of the cesspool of sin and debauchery and continues to keep us. That HE by HIS divine grace and mercy chose us from the foundation of the World and sanctifies us with HIS word. Oh, Lord, help us to heed, listen and read and know You more intimately by spending time with YOU in Your Word. Help Your Bride to desire the sincere milk of the Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment