Monday, February 28, 2011

Day 59-11

V From the Exodus to the Crossing into Canaan - 1462-1422 B.C. ~ cont.
(1462 - 982 480 years of 1 Kings 6:1)
D. From Kadesh-Barnea to crossing of Jordan ~ cont.
1. Prior to years of wandering ~ cont.
j. Levite responsibilities - Numbers 18:1-32
k. Red heifer ordinance, instructions about the dead - Numbers 19:1-22
2. Years of wandering (apx 38 years) (Deut 2:14)
3. Birth of Salmon (36th gen) (husband of Rahab)
4. From Kadesh to plains of Moab
a. Death of Miriam (apx 125 years) - Numbers 20:1
b. Complaining people - Numbers 20:2-6
c. Water from Meribah rock after murmuring - Numbers 20:7-11, 12-13
d. Birth of Moses' grandchildren - 1 Chronicles 23:16-17
e. Permission to pass through Edom denied - Numbers 20:14-21
f. To Mt. Hor - Numbers 20:22, 33:37
{pages 261-265}

Complaining people again?  Seriously?  Murmuring?  Again?

Murmuring - murmur used 6 times in scripture:

Exo 16:7  And in the morning, then ye shall see the glory of the LORD; for that he heareth your murmurings against the LORD: and what are we, that ye murmur against us?

So when we are murmuring against someone in authority, we are really murmuring against the Lord?  Wow, that one just smacked me in the face, really hard.  That means I need to be really careful about how I speak against someone that HE has placed in authority.  To be prayerfully discerning regarding my thoughts, words and actions.  Does that mean those who are in tyrannical situations must submit?

Exo 16:8  And Moses said, This shall be, when the LORD shall give you in the evening flesh to eat, and in the morning bread to the full; for that the LORD heareth your murmurings which ye murmur against him: and what are we? your murmurings are not against us, but against the LORD.

Noted that the two verses above both indicate WHO is hearing the murmurings.  He knows all, sees all, is all, and most definitely hears all.  Ouch.

Num 14:27  How long shall I bear with this evil congregation, which murmur against me? I have heard the murmurings of the children of Israel, which they murmur against me.

Num 14:36  And the men, which Moses sent to search the land, who returned, and made all the congregation to murmur against him, by bringing up a slander upon the land,

Num 16:11  For which cause both thou and all thy company are gathered together against the LORD: and what is Aaron, that ye murmur against him?

Num 17:5  And it shall come to pass, that the man's rod, whom I shall choose, shall blossom: and I will make to cease from me the murmurings of the children of Israel, whereby they murmur against you.

All of the verses above used the same Hebrew word for murmur.

H3885 - A primitive root; to stop (usually over night); by implication to stay permanently; hence (in a bad sense) to be obstinate (especially in words, to complain).

I thought it interesting that 1 Corinthians 10:10 the exhortation/admonition reflects back to this season in Israels' history.  We are to learn from her mistakes.

1Co 10:10  Neither murmur ye, as some of them also murmured, and were destroyed of the destroyer.

Chode?  To get us back on track - Num 20:3  And the people chode with Moses, and spake, saying, Would God that we had died when our brethren died before the LORD!

The word chode is used only twice in Scripture.  In the Hebrew it is:

H7378 - A primitive root; properly to toss, that is, grapple; mostly figuratively to wrangle, that is, hold a controversy; (by implication) to defend.

H7378 is used 66 times in 58 verses.  :-)  The first usage in Genesis 26:20 - And the herdmen of Gerar did strive with Isaac's herdmen, saying, The water is ours: and he called the name of the well Esek, because they strove with him there.

The last usage in Micah 7:9 - I will bear indignation of the Lord, because I have sinned against him, until he plead my cause, and execute judgment for me: he will bring me forth to the light, and I shall behold his righteousness.

Who was the rock?

Rock - 119 times in 106 verses.  I am specifically looking at Numbers 20:10-11, which is:

H5553 - From an unused root meaning to be lofty; a craggy rock, literally or figuratively (a fortress).

Used 61 times in 55 verses.  Used several times in the NT, but the verse that was in my mind:

1Co 10:4  And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

Hmmm...I have been on a search to understand why it was necessary for Moses to speak to the rock versus striking it.  I know there is a significance to the speaking and can almost feel the 'glimmer' of grasping something very important about the Lord, the representation of Christ in this situation.

Here is what I have gleaned thus far - when Moses struck the rock the first time, it was a type or representation of Christ being smitten for our transgressions.  Moses speaking to the rock represents what about Christ?

I have had an interesting journey.  I have been searching, reading, researching, learning, praying, and I have come up with quite a bit.  Types.

"The Bible student should be careful to distinguish between the possible, the probable and the certain" (Oswald Allis). This wise maxim should be applied to the study of typology.  A number of terms are related to the study of typology. A few examples are:
1. typos "type" (Romans 5:14; 1 Corinthians 10:6,11);
2. skia "shadow" (Colossians 2:17; Hebrews 8:5; 10:1);
3. hypodeigma "copy" (Hebrews 8:5; 9:23); and
4. sémeion "sign" (Matthew 12:39).
To read the entire article, click Types of Christ.

In this article, Speak to the Rock, it gives me a little more understanding of the difference in the the 1st and 2nd incidence.  I particularly liked the exhortation to pray.  I have browsed several articles, some state Moses was in unbelief, others that in his humanity his anger caused him to sin.  This one listed out the 5 steps Moses was to fulfill.

I can see how Moses would be frustrated with the people, I've gotten frustrated with people (and haven't had to deal with them for 40 years and all their unbelief and murmuring!).  After 40 years and seeing Father's marvelous provision, one would think that they would get it.  How oft do I fall into the category of being frustrated at someone for their lack of understanding or comprehension, and then I sin?

Jesus died once to redeem me (and those He has chosen), there is no need to sacrifice further, there is however, an ongoing desire to pray and seek the Water of the Word daily, continually.  Always going to the fount from whence springeth forth that which will satiate my spirit and soul.

Sanctification!  "Progressive conformity of the whole man to the Divine nature."  Octavius Winslow

Just dawned on me that Moses got to see his grandchildren prior to his homeward departure (item d above).

No comments:

Post a Comment