Friday, July 5, 2013

A New Tribe

This one came across my radar screen, and I have to say, I share some of the same concerns as the author.

A New Tribe?
WRITTEN BY: AIMEE BYRD - JUN• 21•13

Whenever I read the word “tribe” as it relates to Christianity or even readers in general, I get uncomfortable. I have written about this before, as well as the branding that goes along with it.

Today I read about a new tribe of women who’s goal is to “gather, equip, 
and unleash the next generation 
of women to live out their purpose.” Through a Twitter feed, I discovered this article by Jen Hatmaker introducing a new tribe for women. She announces:
I am a part of a group of friends dreaming a dream, two years in the making. We’re building a tribe, in my bravest moment I’ll call it a movement. It is by our generation of women, for our generation of women. It already includes some of the best thinkers, theologians, Bible teachers, creatives, catalyzers, and visionaries in our demographic. It is strong and deep and wide, shaped by our language, dreams, diversity, our deepest heartbeat.

This group is going by the name “If”:

IF God is real…THEN what? We are starting a raw authentic and community-driven movement. Our tribe craves the uncomfortable – we will wrestle with hard questions and not know all the answers. We will invest in one another and represent the Church to a generation that needs God.

While it seems that these women really have a heart for the next generation, and some of the names involved have a good reputation as teachers of God’s Word, this “movement” or “tribe” is adding to my concern that we are taking women out of the very context in which they should be discipled: the church. This may be the most “uncomfortable” place of all for many women. It is the place where we should be wrestling with the hard questions and looking for answers. Shouldn’t the church represent the church? It isn’t shaped by our language, dreams, diversity, or heartbeat, but by God’s Word, his drama of redemption that we are cast into.

READ MORE --> HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment