Thursday, December 8, 2011

Flee From Idolatry


by J.C. Ryle

“Flee from idolatry”—1 Corinthians 10:14 

THIS text may seem at first sight to be hardly needed in England. In an age of education and intelligence like this, we might almost fancy it is a waste of time to tell an Englishman to “flee from idolatry.”

I am bold to say that this is a great mistake. I believe that we have come to a time when the subject of idolatry demands a thorough and searching investigation. I believe that idolatry is near us, and about us, and in the midst of us, to a very fearful extent. The Second Commandment, in one word, is in peril. “The plague is begun.”

Without further preface, I propose in this paper to consider the four following points:

I.  The Definition of Idolatry. What Is It?
II.  The Cause of Idolatry. Whence Comes It?
III. The Form Idolatry Assumes in the Visible Church of Christ. Where Is It?
IV. The Ultimate Abolition of Idolatry. What Will End It?

I feel that the subject is encompassed with many difficulties. Our lot is cast in an age when truth is constantly in danger of being sacrificed to toleration, charity, and peace falsely so-called. Nevertheless, I cannot forget, as a clergy man, that the Church of England is a church which has “given no uncertain sound” on the subject of idolatry; and unless I am greatly  mistaken, truth about idolatry is, in the highest sense, truth for the times.

Read more--->HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment