Thursday, October 28, 2010

Day 297 cont...

Day 297 ... :-) my margin and underline notes were for something completely different than what I posted originally...thought I would continue to share...


The Lost Son - Luke 15:11-32


Having 2 sons this parable has special significance to me.  Each family and situation is unique and not all are or will be exactly as something portrayed in Scripture.


Luke 15:29-32  And he answering said to his father, Lo, these many years do I serve thee, neither transgressed I at any time thy commandment: and yet thou never gavest me a kid, that I might make merry with my friends: But as soon as this thy son was come, which hath devoured thy living with harlots, thou hast killed for him the fatted calf.  And he said unto him, Son, thou art ever with me, and all that I have is thine.  It was meet that we should make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and was lost, and is found. 

As I reflected upon the older son's attitude of self-righteousness, I wondered, how often do I have and/or exhibit this attitude?


Do I slip into the mind set of having done a, b and c?  Therefore being righteous before HIM? Or do I humbly, daily, acknowledge that I am (without the indwelling of the Holy Spirit) completely and utterly unable to give a proper estimate of Father?


How often do I rejoice over a lost soul brought into the Kingdom of God?  To be 'merry' over someone who was dead and is now brought to life?


O Lord, increase the laborers into Your harvest and let the words of our lips be in praise and adoration to YOU for those to whom You give life eternal.


Rich Man ~ Lazarus - Luke 16:19-31


Oh...what conviction is wrought in my soul.  I was browsing the commentaries and took the time to read all of Matthew Henry's on this passage in Luke.  It is too lengthy to include here, but I have included links, if lead, please read.


http://www.ccel.org/ccel/henry/mhc5.Luke.xvii.html


http://www.blueletterbible.org/commentaries/comm_view.cfm?AuthorID=4&contentID=1657&commInfo=5&topic=Luke

Which brought to mind this passage:


Mat 25:35-40  For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.  Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? 
When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?  Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?  And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. 

How much we, in the United States, have in abundance.  Even those who are 'poor' (by governmental standards) enjoy a standard of living that is far above and better than many people enjoy upon this pulsating orb.  Father forgive me for the times I have not, when it was within my ability, ministered to those less fortunate.

No comments:

Post a Comment