Saturday, July 23, 2011

Day 204-11



Isa 35:9  No lion shall be there, nor any ravenous beast shall go up thereon, it shall not be found there; but the redeemed shall walk there:

redeemed - H1350 - A primitive root, to redeem (according to the Oriental law of kinship), that is, to be the next of kin (and as such to buy back a relative’s property, marry his widow, etc.).

First usage of the word is found in Genesis 48:16 - where Jacob/Israel affirms that he was redeemed from all evil.  Exodus 6:6 - God affirms that HE redeemed Israel from Egyptian bondage.

Psalm 19:14 - Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Psalm 119:154 - Plead my cause, and deliver me: quicken me according to thy word.

Used only 1 time in Proverbs:

23:11 - For their redeemer is mighty; he shall plead their cause with thee.

Total usages 104x in 84 verses.  Used 21 times in 10 verses in the Book of Ruth.

I had to chuckle...out of 10 verses, it would have to be in each one about twice, right?  LOL...not.  The verse with the most usages is:


Rth 4:4  And I thought to advertise thee, saying, Buy it before the inhabitants, and before the elders of my people. If thou wilt redeem it, redeem it: but if thou wilt not redeem it, then tell me, that I may know: for there is none to redeem it beside thee; and I am after thee. And he said, I will redeem it.

Yet he does not...he was not a true kinsman.  I did a bit of research on Kinsman Redeemer while going through the Book of Ruth which you can find here.


Isa 35:10  And the ransomed of the LORD shall return, and come to Zion with songs and everlasting joy upon their heads: they shall obtain joy and gladness, and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.

ransomed - H6299 - A primitive root; to sever, that is, ransom; generally to release, preserve.

Also translated as redeemed - used 3x in the first usage of the word in Exodus 13:13 -

Rescued in 1 Samuel 14:15.

Interestingly there are double H6299 H6299 in some passages.

In Job 33:28 translated as deliver.

Psalm 49:7 - None of them can by any means (H6299) redeem (H6299) his brother, nor give God a ransom for him:

I liked this one:  I will ransom them from the power of the grave, I will redeem (H1350) them from death: O death, I will be thy plagues; O grave, I will be thy destruction: repentance shall be hid from mine eyes.  (Hosea 13:14)

No comments:

Post a Comment