Thursday, June 16, 2011

Day 167-11


Behold, there came fire down from heaven, and burnt up the two captains of the former fifties with their fifties: therefore let my life now be precious in thy sight.  (2 Kings 1:14)

If the other 2 groups were burned up, was the knowledge based solely on the fact that they did not return?

And Elijah said unto Elisha, Tarry here, I pray thee; for the LORD hath sent me to Bethel. And Elisha said unto him, As the LORD liveth, and as thy soul liveth, I will not leave thee. So they went down to Bethel. (2 Kings 2:2)

Who else said:  "I will not leave thee."?

And the sons of the prophets that were at Bethel came forth to Elisha, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the LORD will take away thy master from thy head to day? And he said, Yea, I know it; hold ye your peace. (2 Kings 2:3)

In today's language?  Don't remind me, I already know. I don't want to think about it.  LEAVE me alone!

Interestingly, Elisha states 3 times he will not leave...2 Kings 2:2 and then:

And Elijah said unto him, Elisha, tarry here, I pray thee; for the LORD hath sent me to Jericho. And he said, As the LORD liveth, and as thy soul liveth, I will not leave thee. So they came to Jericho.  (2 Kings 2:4)

And Elijah said unto him, Tarry, I pray thee, here; for the LORD hath sent me to Jordan. And he said, As the LORD liveth, and as thy soul liveth, I will not leave thee. And they two went on.  (2 Kings 2:6)

Which made me ponder...just the phrase 'not leave' - found 22 times.  First occurrence:

Gen 28:15  And, behold, I am with thee, and will keep thee in all places whither thou goest, and will bring thee again into this land; for I will not leave thee, until I have done that which I have spoken to thee of. 

A mother desiring healing/restoration of her dead son:

2Ki 4:30  And the mother of the child said, As the LORD liveth, and as thy soul liveth, I will not leave thee. And he arose, and followed her.

Foretelling of our Savior:

Psa 16:10  For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

Encouragement for those sealed and kept by the power of God:

Joh 14:18  I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

An echo of Psalm 16:10 - Act 2:27  Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. 

I was actually thinking of Ruth's proclamation to not leave Naomi, but it did not come up in the search.  So for the consolation of my inquisitive mind:

And Ruth said, Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God: Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the LORD do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me.   (Ruth 1:16-17)

O Lord, that we Your people, would cling with such fervency to You, willing to forsake all for the sake of Your call upon us.  Lord, the world bites, and calls, nags and entices, help us to be steadfast in our devotion to and for You.  Give us an ever growing desire to love You, to want to please You in all areas of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment