Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Day 117-11

VIII - The Reign of David - 1025-985 B.C. ~ cont.
A. David becomes king ~ cont.
4. Israel's power grows ~ cont.
d. Administrators and officers of kingdom - 2 Samuel 8:15-18; 1 Chronicles 18:14-17
e. Song of deliverance - 2 Samuel 22:1-51; Psalm 18:1-50; 144:115

{pages 518 - 522}

I was chuckling at the length of the song recorded in 2 Samuel.  I do not think I have ever heard that one sung.  Would be quite an undertaking to sing the entire song in one session.

I made a note, used? means? on the following verse:

The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.  (Psalm 18:2)

my rock - H5553 - From an unused root meaning to be lofty; a craggy rock, literally or figuratively (a fortress).  Used 61 times in 55 verses.  First usage:

Take the rod, and gather thou the assembly together, thou, and Aaron thy brother, and speak ye unto the rock before their eyes; and it shall give forth his water, and thou shalt bring forth to them water out of the rock: so thou shalt give the congregation and their beasts drink.  (Numbers 20:8)

I thought that interesting that the first usage when Moses was when he was to SPEAK to the ROCK.

And gavest them bread from heaven for their hunger, and broughtest forth water for them out of the rock for their thirst, and promisedst them that they should go in to possess the land which thou hadst sworn to give them.  (Nehemiah 9:15)

The phrase 'my rock' is used 12 times (KJV) primarily in 2 Samuel and Psalms.

my fortress - H4686 - From H4685; a net, or (abstractly) capture; also a fastness:.

  • H4685 - From H6679; a net (for capturing animals or fishes); also (by interchange for H4679) a fastness or (besieging) tower.
  • H6679 - A primitive root; to lie alongside (that is, in wait); by implication to catch an animal (figuratively men); (denominative from H6718) to victual (for a journey).

Used 22 times in 22 verses.  David in the hold, David took the strong hold of Zion, David abiding in the fort, David taking the castle of Zion, Job speaking of an eagle and her strong place, a house of defense, a net, a snare, to be hunted.

my deliverer - H6403 - A primitive root; to slip out, that is, escape; causatively to deliver.  Used 26 times in 24 verses.  Deliverer, delivereth, cows calving, delivered, escape, safe.

my strength - H6697 - From H6696; properly a cliff (or sharp rock, as compressed); generally a rock or boulder; figuratively a refuge; also an edge (as precipitous).

  • H6696 - A primitive root; to cramp, that is, confine (in many applications, literally and figuratively, formative or hostile).

Used 76 times in 72 verses - first usage:

Behold, I will stand before thee there upon the rock in Horeb; and thou shalt smite the rock, and there shall come water out of it, that the people may drink. And Moses did so in the sight of the elders of Israel.  (Exodus 17:6)

rock - 65 ~ strength - 4 ~ beauty - 1 ~ strong - 2 ~ edge - 1 ~ mighty One - 1 ~ God - 1 ~ mighty God - 1

I will trust - H2620 - A primitive root; to flee for protection (compare H982); figuratively to confide in.  Used 37 times in 36 verses.

And he shall say, Where are their gods, their rock in whom they trusted.  (Deuteronomy 32:37)

The LORD recompense thy work, and a full reward be given thee of the LORD God of Israel, under whose wings thou art come to trust.  (Ruth 2:12)

my buckler - H4043 - From H1598; a shield (that is, the small one or buckler); figuratively a protector; also the scaly hide of the crocodile.

  • H1598 - A primitive root; to hedge about, that is, (generally) protect.
Used 63 times in 60 verses...

After these things the word of the LORD came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward.  (Genesis 15:1)

Short overview of shield and buckler here.  I was searching for a bit more on buckler and found this site.

horn of  - H7161 - From H7160; a horn (as projecting); by implication a flask, cornet; by resemblance an elephant’s tooth (that is, ivory), a corner (of the altar), a peak (of a mountain), a ray (of light); figuratively power.
  • H7160 - A primitive root; to push or gore; used only as denominative from H7161, to shoot out horns; figuratively rays.
76 times in 69 verses.  First used of the ram whose horns were caught in the thicket.

my salvation - H3468 - From H3467; liberty, deliverance, prosperity.
  • H3467 - A primitive root; properly to be open, wide or free, that is, (by implication) to be safe; causatively to free or succor.
Heh...used 205 times in 198 verses.

And the shepherds came and drove them away; but Moses stood up and helped them, and watered their flock.  (Exodus 2:17)

Say not thou, I will recompense evil; but wait on the LORD, and he shall save thee.  (Proverbs 20:22)

my high tower - H4869 - From H7682; properly a cliff (or other lofty or inaccessible place); abstractly altitude; figuratively a refuge; misgab; a place in Moab.
  • H7682 - A primitive root; to be (causatively make) lofty, especially inaccessible; by implication safe, strong; used literally and figuratively.
Used 17 times in 16 verses.  Primarily in 2 Samuel and Psalms, with a couple in Isaiah and once in Jeremiah.

I'll close with a couple from the last phrase.

The God of my rock; in him will I trust: he is my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my saviour; thou savest me from violence.  (2 Samuel 22:3)

The LORD also will be a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble. (Psalm 9:9)

No comments:

Post a Comment