Sunday, June 17, 2012

My Father

I am not a denominational person...thankful that, by His grace, from the moment He saved me He empowered me to resist being labeled or forming an 'alliance' with a denomination.  I am first and foremost known by the name of the one who laid down His life: Christ...Christian.


Who stepped from majesty on high, provided seed in the virgin womb, lived a sinless life, paid the price for Adam's treacherous sin and rebellion and made a way for a multitude of people to cry Abba....Father.


The following is a quote from this blog, and strikes a cord within me.  I've been pondering upon how Christians seem to spend a lot of time debating among themselves (counting beans in the barn) versus spreading seed in the fields.

"We sit in our comfortable churches, gather in our convention halls for annual meetings, and focus in on doctrinal differences by issuing various white papers on traditional Baptist beliefs. Yet, while we pontificate and bloviate, men and women outside our doors are dead on the inside and living in a virtual hell. I entered Bourbon Street wanting to know what people thought of the SBC -- I left Bourbon Street two hours later realizing it makes absolutely zero difference what people think about the SBC. As long as we Southern Baptists think more about our Convention than we do the kingdom of Christ, we will focus on the politics of our convention and less about the power of the Christ to change lives."

God, the Father, very clearly gives direction to His children:


Go ye therefore, and teach all nations... ~ Matthew 28:19

I am convicted for having spent far too much time debating over issues with other Christians which probably have no eternal significance versus spreading the Word.


Am I more apt to be a pictorial of this verse:


Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers. ~ 2 Timothy 2:14

Versus this one:



Only let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ: that whether I come and see you, or else be absent, I may hear of your affairs, that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel; ~ Philippians 1:27

Would that my heart was with the Father in this regard:



I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance. ~ Luke 15:7

Lord, You, in Your gracious mercy, without any merit or work on my part, chose to make me Your child.  I, who once hated You, vainly attempted to thwart Your eternal decrees, help me to be a better reflection of You today.  To continually grow in Your grace, to give a proper estimate of You in all situations, circumstances and seasons.



For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother. ~ Mark 3:35


Can it be said of me: I and my Father are one or I do the will of Him who is in heaven?  Can it be said of you?

No comments:

Post a Comment