Saturday, January 8, 2011

Day 8

III The Age of The Patriarchs - 1967-1606 B.C. ~ cont.
A. Job ~ cont.
2. Job and his three friends ~ cont.
c. Second round of speeches - Job 15:1-35; 16:1-22; 17:1-16; 18:1-21; 19:1-28; 20:1-29; 21:1-34

But I would strengthen you with my mouth, and the moving of my lips should asswage your grief. (Job 16:5)

Though I speak, my grief is not asswaged: and though I forbear, what am I eased? (Job 16:6)

I thought the asswage(d) referenced above was similar to this verse:

And God remembered Noah, and every living thing, and all the cattle that was with him in the ark: and God made a wind to pass over the earth, and the waters asswaged;  (Genesis 8:1)

From verses 5 and 6 above:

asswage(d) - H2820 - חשׂך - châśak - khaw-sak' - A prim root; to restrain or (reflexively) refrain; by implication to refuse, spare, preserve; also (by interchange with H2821) to observe.

First usage of the word is in Genesis 20:6 regarding Abimelech being withheld from sinning against God by laying with Sarah.

Last usage is in Ezekiel 30:18 - At Tehaphnehes also the day shall be darkened, when I shall break there the yokes of Egypt: and the pomp of her strength shall cease in her: as for her, a cloud shall cover her, and her daughters shall go into captivity.

Well, not the same word as the one used about the flood.  Okay, back to the search:

In 8:1 ~ H7918 - שׁכך - shâkak - shaw-kak' - A primitive root; to weave (that is, lay) a trap; figuratively (through the idea of secreting) to allay (passions; physically abate a flood).

First used in Genesis 8:1 for the flood waters.  Used only 5x, twice of which is in Esther.  In 2:1 when Ahasuerus wrath was appeased and then in 7:10 when his wrath was pacified.  In Numbers 17:5 it is used for God making the murmuring of the people to cease.

Though I speak, my grief is not asswaged: and though I forbear, what am I eased?  (Job 16:6)

Gill:  Though I speak, my grief is not assuaged,.... Though he spoke to God in prayer, and entreated for some abatement of his sorrows, he got no relief; and though he spoke to himself in soliloquies, his sorrow was not repressed nor lessened; he could not administer comfort to himself in the present case, though he might to others in like circumstances, if his own were changed.

Oh that my words were now written! oh that they were printed in a book!  That they were graven with an iron pen and lead in the rock for ever!  (Job 19:23-24)

Did Job know?  That what was being spoken would one day be recorded?  As a new believer I heard a song that touched my heart greatly - A Man You Would Write About - and cried unto the Lord, desiring that I would leave such a legacy.  (NOTE:  I am not desiring to be a man, or assume a male position, rather, that I would be found worthy enough to warrant inclusion, IF the Bible were still being written today.)

Which reminds me of a book, written by Steven Lawson, The Legacy - awesome book.  Max Jukes and Jonathan Edwards, both lived during the 18th century, two fathers, two very different legacies.*

Max Jukes?  His legacy?  He was an unbeliever, as was his wife.  Of their known 1,200 descendants they have:
  • 440 lives of outright debauchery
  • 310 paupers
  • 190 public prostitutes
  • 130 convicted criminals
  • 100 alcoholics
  • 60 habitual thieves
  • 55 victims of impurity
  • 7 murderes
Not a very thrilling list.  Of Johnathan and Sarah Edwards male descendants:

  • 300 clergymen, missionaries, or theological professors
  • 120 college professors
  • 110 lawyers
  • over 60 physicians
  • over 60 authors of good books
  • 30 judges
  • 14 presidents of universities
  • numerous giants in American industry
  • 3 U.S. congressmen
  • 1 vice-president of the United States

Job, his story, is written, oh, if only Job knew what comfort and consolation are afforded to the brethren who came after him by hearing and knowing of his great trails and Father's grace and mercy in his life.  What legacy will you leave?  Can you say with the same confidence as Job:

For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: and though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.  (Job 19:25-27)


*Taken from the book The Legacy, written by Steven J. Lawson, Chapter 1, pages 13 and 14.

No comments:

Post a Comment